Wednesday 12 May 2010

Maps

Since I'm re-organising the museum it's important for visitors to know exactly where the new zones are. One of the obvious ways of doing this is to provide a map. Designing maps isn't something I'm familiar with at all, and my general spacial awareness is quite poor. I've been looking at a few books which have loads of examples of different ways of mapping, I didn't realise how many options there were.


I like that this map is split up into different floor, and positioned above/below other floors. It makes it easier to see the relation between rooms. This would be a really useful technique to use for the museum, since it's made from several floors and buildings.


This type of map is a lot more complex, and more like an architects model. The model is used in combination with photographs of the real building and a key. This is a really nice way to visually represent the building, and would communicate well to those who aren't as proficient in reading the more common version of mapping. It would perhaps be useful for the younger visitors.


I like this 3D way of mapping, the building are simplified well and yet it's still apparent which bits are rooms and which are buildings. The colour coding of text boxes at the side is something to be considered however I think if I used this method I'd try to be more subtle. The lines in particular are distracting rather than helpful.


This is an interesting application of icons, this could be developed into a really interesting map, however due to the size of the museum/amount of icons I fear that it would be more of a hindrance than a help when it came to my brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment